These Christmas Santa Hat Cupcakes are perfect for any celebration during the winter holiday season. Learn how to make your own and make your guests (or you) as happy as can be.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Custom Christmas cupcakes are all the rage for holiday parties. Why not impress your friends or loved ones with these super cute with this Santa Hat Cupcake Recipe.
I was always the one who had to have a tag attached to everything or customize our treats. I feel like I spent my time doing things that other people don't really appreciate. Santa cupcakes are super easy and you're putting buttercream on top of your cupcakes anyways.
I use the non-taste red food coloring gel and it does make a difference in the end. Your buttercream is still sugary and you don't have the metallic taste that you'd get from other red food colorings.
Supplies for your custom Santa Claus Cupcakes
- Pre-Made Cupcakes
- Icing Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Red Gel Food Coloring
Tip: Go to your local grocery bakery and ask to buy non-iced cupcakes.
Begin by whipping together your room temperature butter. I like using salted butter but you can have control over your salt intake by using unsalted butter and adding in a bit at a time – just to offset some sweetness.
Use an electric mixer to whip up your butter and then slowly add the icing sugar. Add a splash of milk to make it smoother and then at the end, split the icing 80/20.
Color the 80% portion with your red food coloring and cocoa powder and mix it really well. Put your red frosting in an icing bag or a Ziploc will work just as well and cut off the corner. Use a knife or offset spatula to ice the base of the cupcake in white.
You're going to want to start at the bottom and press a large amount at the base and then pull up slowly to get a triangular shape of frosting. Cut the mini marshmallows in half and place it on top. Voila, you're done!
Santa Hat Cupcake Recipe
- 12 of your favorite chocolate cupcakes
Butter Cream Frosting
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp red gel food coloring
- 6 mini marshmallows
How to make Buttercream Frosting
- In an electric stand mixer, beat together butter, sugar, and milk on medium speed, gradually increasing it to high.
- Once the ingredients are combined and form stiff peaks, your buttercream is ready.
How to make your buttercream Santa hat
- Scoop out about ¼ cup of white buttercream and with an offset spatula, frost each cupcake.
- Add cocoa to your remaining buttercream and mix on high. Add red gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- Using a piping bag, pipe out a tall, triangular shape onto each cupcake.
- Cut each mini marshmallow in half and top the buttercream hats. Ho Ho Ho
Latest posts by Lindsay (see all)
- FREE Planner SVG Files – DIY Disney Vacation Planner - December 3, 2019
- DIY Farmhouse Gather Sign with Loctite - December 3, 2019
- Cricut Gift Ideas for the Whole Family - November 27, 2019