Create easy and delicious Spider Cupcakes for your next Halloween Soiree.
Spider cupcakes are just the newest installment of the fun Halloween cupcakes I've made in the past. Use fondant to create your own creepy, crawly critter on top of these easy store-bought cupcakes.
Supplies you'll need for your Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Black Fondant
- Red and Yellow Gel Food Coloring
- Green and Black Decorating Frosting
- Cupcake Liners
- Piping Bag
- Wilton Piping Tips #3, #5, and #12
Store-bought cake mix has saved my bacon too many times. There are ways that you can easily adapt the box mix to have your cupcakes more fluffy or taste a little bit more homemade. Good vanilla, as Ina would say, is a perfect ingredient to add to your store-bought cupcake mix.
making fondant spiders
Begin by making two spheres, one slightly larger than the other. You'll place both ends on a toothpick and the lower half of the body you will shape into a teardrop shape. Make all your fondant spiders this way and set aside so that you can finish decorating them while they're on top of your cupcakes.
You can cut your toothpicks in half to begin with or wait until the end to lob off the extra bits.
Use a smooth surface to roll out your fondant. I like the taste of Satin Ice Fondant or you can make your very own Marshmallow Fondant that's really easy. Use cornstarch or powdered sugar to prevent sticking and keep it moving so that it doesn't stick in any places on your board.
making your orange buttercream
Next you'll make your buttercream which is tinted with some red and yellow gel food coloring.
Make your buttercream extra smooth by sifting your confectionary sugar beforehand. Getting the butter extra creamy and almost white before you add in your sugar can also drastically affect the taste of your buttercream in a good way.
When mixing your butter, you want to use unsalted butter and have it still be a bit cold. If you can press your finger into the side easily and it's still cold, that's perfect!
piping your spider eyes and legs
Pipe your orange buttercream on top of your cooled cupcakes and then use the green decorating icing to create your spider eyes. Just a dab will do it and so for this I used the Wilton Tip #3.
Use your Wilton tip #5 and place it on your black decorating frosting and pipe the legs. A spider has 8 legs so be mindful of that as you start piping. I like to start with my front leg and the
How easy are these fondant spider toppers? Be sure to check out other great Halloween cupcake ideas below and tag me so I can see your awesome creations.
Halloween Spider Cupcakes
- Cupcake Pan
- Electric Mixer
- Chocolate cake mix + all ingredients to make it
- 5-6 oz. black fondant
- 12 toothpicks
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp red gel food coloring
- ½ tsp yellow gel food coloring
- Green decorating frosting
- Black decorating frosting
- To begin, prepare cupcakes using a chocolate cake mix. Most cake mixes yield 24 cupcakes, so you can half the ingredients since the decorations in this recipe are enough for one dozen.
- As the cupcakes bake, prepare the fondant spider body: roll out 12 1-inch black fondant spheres and set aside.
- Next, roll out ½ inch black fondant spheres.
- On one toothpick, insert one 1-inch sphere, followed by the smaller sphere.
- Gently squeeze the end of the larger sphere, giving it a rounded-cone shape.
- Repeat for all spheres/toothpicks.
- Trim the toothpick so that it is no longer visible.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together softened butter, sugar and milk until smooth. Start electric mixer’s speed on low and gradually increase to high.
- Add red and yellow gel food coloring into buttercream mixture and beat until completely tinted.
- Scoop orange buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton tip #12 attached. Frost each cupcake.
- Place on fondant spider body on each frosted cupcake.
- Using Wilton tip # 3, frost two eyes on each head (smaller fondant sphere) with the green decorating frosting.
- Using Wilton tip # 5, frost out 4 legs on each side of each spider with the black decorating frosting. Serve and enjoy!
More Halloween Cupcake Ideas
- Free Birthday SVG Files – Funny Birthday SVG File - June 2, 2020
- Make an Indoor Vinyl Flower Garden for your Playroom - May 26, 2020
- Cricut Kids Crafts with the Cricut Joy - April 8, 2020