Make these easy Thor Cupcakes all from an easy cake mix. Celebrate the AVENGERS: Infinity War movie release with these super cute cupcakes. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Who has seen the new AVENGERS: Infinity War movie? Better question, who hasn't? Thor was a huge part of the movie and so I decided to make these Thor cupcakes to go along with my Hulk Rice Krispie Treats or these easy Avengers Cupcake Toppers I made with my Cricut. These Thor cupcakes are incredibly easy to make. Just use store-bought Red Velvet cake mix and follow the directions on the box to make them. One box should yield 24 cupcakes. Allow them to cool completely before adding any frosting or decorations.
Mix your butter, powdered sugar, milk and cocoa powder together using an electric mixer or hand mixer. Beat until it is smooth and then add in your red gel food coloring. Having gel food coloring is important because it is intense in the color and the taste is almost non-existent. When you have red food coloring, sometimes it tastes metallic but I like the gel food coloring because you can't taste it and it takes less of the coloring to get the color you want. Use a piping bag and a star tip to get the grooves when piping. I like to place my piping bag into a cup before I load up the frosting. It helps make it more stable and I'm able to keep the top of my bag clean. Next, you'll make the top of Thor's hammer for the cupcake topper. Use some fondant, mix in 2 drops of black gel food coloring and soften it by playing with it in your hands. The heat from your hands will make the fondant moldable. You may want to wear gloves so the gel color doesn't stain your hands. Mold them into rectangles and lay them to the side. Mix the silver
lustre dust with some water or vodka and paint Thor's hammer to get them shiny. Next, break the pretzel sticks into the desired size of the base of the hammer and place them inside the middle of the fondant hammer. Place it on top of your cupcake and now you've made the perfect Thor cupcakes.
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix + Ingredients to make them
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 7-8 drops red gel food coloring
- 24 mini pretzel sticks
- 4-6 ounces white fondant
- 2 drops black gel food coloring
- 3-5 tbsp cornstarch
- silver food luster dust
- Prepare your red velvet mix according to the box’s directions (they usually yield 24 cupcakes). Allow to cool on rack before decorating.
- Using a stand mixer, start beating butter and slowly add confectioners’ sugar. Add milk and mix on high until your buttercream has formed. In terms of consistency, you’ll want it to form stiff peaks.
- Add cocoa and red food coloring to the buttercream and continue mixing on high until it is completely colored. Using a piping bag, frost each cupcake.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Roll your fondant into ½ inch spheres (you’ll want to make 24 of them) and then shape into rectangles. Place each one on lined baking sheet. (You will want to dust your fingers with cornstarch once in a while to prevent them from sticking on your hands)
- Brush each fondant piece with silver luster. Insert a pretzel stick at the bottom of each one (you may have to break off a piece of the pretzel stick if they are too long). Place carefully on each cupcake.
- DIY Baby Onesie – Needy AF - July 7, 2020
- Free Birthday SVG Files – Funny Birthday SVG File - June 2, 2020
- Make an Indoor Vinyl Flower Garden for your Playroom - May 26, 2020