Okay, I know that this is a huge promise that not too many deliver on but seriously, I’ve been told, and I know, that these are some of the best of the best. This is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever make and it’s sure to be a family tradition after this.
Every year we go to Bear Lake in Garden City, Utah and we always have bags of these cookies along with our Ginger Molasses cookies and they’re always gone within the first few days. Seriously, this is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe you’ll ever try and you won’t need any other recipe after this.
here it is: the best chocolate chip cookie recipe
You’re going to begin by doing your most crucial step first, combining the sugars and shortening. You want to whip it until the mixture is light and fluffy. I usually mix mine on about a med-high speed for at least three minutes. This will give you your foundation for a fluffy cookie.
why use shortening over butter?
I use butter-flavored shortening because it doesn’t spread the mixture out as much. You can always omit the water and just use butter but the mixture will spread more rapidly in the oven and the cookie will be crispier. The butter gives it a fluff that I just can’t explain.
After you’ve creamed your shortening and sugars together, add in an egg one at a time and mix until it is completely incorporated. Next, add in your vanilla extract and water and just mix for a few seconds.
what’s the best flour to use in cookies?
What I have learned about making these cookies is that she has always used Gold Medal Bread Flour. My grandpa used to be a salesman for General Mills so we always had Lucky Charms growing up and I could never figure out why none of my friends’ grandmas had it at their houses.
Now I know and now I know why she uses the Gold Medal flour, she got it for free. But in all honesty, it is the best flour to use for these cookies but if you don’t have it then some all-purpose flour will work just fine too.
You’re going to add your dry ingredients about a 1/2 cup at a time. I mix it completely before adding any more additionally because I don’t want any clumps in my batter. As I’m mixing I’ll also add in my salt and baking soda before I add in my last bit of flour.
How should I incorporate chocolate chips in my cookie dough batter?
I use Ghirardelli Grand Baking Chips for my cookies because I love to have those chunks of melted chocolate rather than a few here and there. When I add my chocolate chips to the batter, I turn the mixer off and use a rubber spatula and fold in the chips. Just slowly scoop from the bottom and push the mixture into itself to disperse the chocolate chips evenly and without breaking them.
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever!
- 1 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 tsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Gold Medal bread flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together your shortening and your sugars. Beat until it is light and fluffy.
- Add your eggs one at a time and mix until it is combined.
- Add your vanilla and water.
- Add your dry ingredients and mix until the dough has come together. I like to add about a 1/2 cup at a time. If your dough is still sticky, add about 1/4 extra flour until you're able to grab a pinch and it doesn't stick to your hands.
- With a spatula, stir in your chocolate chips. If you want the addition of nuts, this is the time to add them.
- Use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop and place dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until it is golden on the edges. Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy.
Latest posts by Lindsay (see all)
- Make Your Own Puzzle with the Cricut Maker - November 20, 2019
- Frozen Cupcakes – Inspired by Elsa’s Hair - November 18, 2019
- Christmas Napkins using Glitter Heat Transfer Vinyl - November 12, 2019