Have you ever tried to make Christmas Cake Pops? Create this easy Christmas Tree version out of store-bought cake mix and decorate them to the hilt so that they'll be a hit at your next Christmas party.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Making Christmas Cake Pops is even easier than you could have ever imagined. The trick is to get enough frosting into the crumbs and allowing your cake pops to get super cold before your frost them. You can dip them in melted chocolate and then pipe the tree leaves or just go straight for the buttercream and save yourself a step.
Christmas Cake Pop Supplies
- Prepared Cake Mix (cooked and cooled)
- Icing Sugar
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Nonpareil Colored Sprinkles
- Yellow Fondant
- Lollipop Sticks
- Wilton Star Tip #21
- Piping Bag
Make your buttercream by creaming the butter and icing sugar together using a wire whisk attachment on an electric mixer. Add a splash or two of milk if it gets a little harder to work with but you want to incorporate as much air as possible into the buttercream.
Divide your buttercream into two bowls, 1/4 frosting in one and 3/4 into another. Before adding your green gel food coloring, mix your crumbled cake crumbs and the 1/4 white buttercream together until they reach the texture of wet sand. Sounds gross but kind of like kinetic sand.
Once you've reached that consistency, form 2-3″ balls from your crumbs and form them into the shape of a cone. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and stick a sucker stick through the top.
Tip: When coloring your icing or buttercream darker pigments, the longer you allow your frosting to sit, the more intense your color gets.
Chill your mounds of crumbs in the fridge for about 2 hours until they're really firm and solid. You can place a towel over them or a light sheet of cling film so they don't form a crust.
While your Tree Cake Pops are chilling, add your green gel food coloring to the remaining buttercream and store that in an air-tight container until you're ready to use it.
Take your yellow fondant and create stars by pinching the sides of your star. I used about a 1/2″ ball of fondant for each Christmas Tree star.
After your cake pops have chilled and you're ready to frost your Christmas cake pops, place your icing in a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
Pipe a straight row up the tree and continue until your tree is completely covered. Add your nonpareil sprinkles while the buttercream is still soft and then adhere your Christmas star to the top of your tree.
These Christmas cake pops are super easy but they are time-consuming. Give yourself plenty of time in advance to complete these perfect Christmas desserts.
Delightful Christmas Tree Cake Pops
- 1 pkg of your favorite cake mix
- ¾ cup butter softened (1 ½ sticks)
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 3-5 tbsp milk
- green gel food coloring
- yellow fondant
- nonpareil sprinkles
How to prepare your Christmas cake pops to be frosted.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside
- Ensure that your cake has cooled before beginning the cake pop process. In a large bowl, break your cake up into little bits. You may even use a food processor to do this.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, and milk until smooth. Split into two bowls, 1/4 into one and 3/4 into another.
- Add the smaller amount of frosting into your crumbled cake and mix thoroughly. You’ll want the consistency of semi-wet sand, but don’t make it too wet or else it will not set.
- Start rolling your frosted cake into 2-3 inch balls then shaping them into cones, so that they start to take the form of a Christmas tree. Insert a lollipop stick from the top and place gently on a lined baking sheet.
- Chill the cake pops in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Add the green gel food coloring to your remaining buttercream and add it to your piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Place a piece of wax paper on a clean working surface. Separate your yellow fondant into 20-24 spheres, about ½ an inch in size. Shape each one into a star. Lay gently on wax paper.
- Remove cake pops from the refrigerator and frost each one. Top with sprinkles and place fondant star at the peak of each tree.