Have you seen that super cute cemetery puddings on Pinterest and you just think, I can’t eat all that. I have the Halloween tombstone cupcake version and it’s the perfect single size party dessert. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Another cupcake to add to our Halloween Cupcakes! Here we’re making Halloween tombstone cupcakes and they’re adorable. I used lady fingers in my recipe but you can easily use some Milano cookies because they’re also the perfect shape for Halloween tombstones.
Supplies for Halloween Tombstone Cupcakes
You’re going to use a store-bought mix for your cupcakes. If you want to easily bypass that step, head to your grocery store bakery. They almost always have a hidden stash in the back freezer. Save you some time to get started on your Halloween tombstone cupcakes.
You’re going to want to prepare your buttercream. You can use a stand mixer or a hand-held electric one but I don’t recommend doing this by hand. Combine your butter, icing sugar, cocoa, and milk together and mix it until it is light and fluffy.
How do I make buttercream fluffy?
You make buttercream fluffy by continuing to beat it with your mixer. If you just only mix it until it is combined, you’ll have a very dense frosting. Continue to beat it until it’s almost like whipped egg whites.
Next, you’re going to turn your ladyfinger cookies into the Halloween tombstone. Break the cookies in half and set aside on some parchment paper.
Mix your white candy melts with the coconut oil and then put into the microwave. Once the candy has been melted then add in a small amount of the black gel food coloring. This will give you the grey color of the Halloween tombstones.
Submerge your ladyfingers completely in the candy melts and lay back on your parchment paper. Place your cookies in the fridge to set faster.
Place your chocolate buttercream into your piping bag. You can use a decorative tip or just use the method of a plain swirl of frosting like these cupcakes here. Once your ladyfinger cookies are dry, draw the RIP on your Halloween tombstone and then place on top of the cupcake.
RIP Tombstone Halloween Cupcakes
- 12 of your favorite vanilla cupcakes
- 6 lady finger cookies
- 1 cup white candy melts
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp black gel food coloring
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 4 cups confectioner sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 3-5 tbsp milk
- Black decorating icing
- Allow your cupcakes to cool before decorating. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Break your ladyfinger cookies in half.
- Microwave your candy melt and coconut oil in 30-second intervals until completely melted. Add black gel food coloring and mix.
- Completely submerge your ladyfinger cookies in the melted candy. Place gently on your parchment paper.
- Make your buttercream by beating butter, sugar, cocoa and milk on slow. Gradually increase speed to high and allow the ingredients to blend thoroughly. Frost each cupcake with a frosting bag.
- Once the candy has set on your ladyfingers, draw out “RIP” on each one with your black decorating icing.
- Place the tombstone cookies on each cupcake and Happy Halloween!