So these Pinata Cupcakes are my new favorite food! See how easy it is to create this Pinata Cupcake recipe for Cinco De Mayo or a fun Southwestern party. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
Are you throwing a party that requires some festive imagination? I love these fiesta party supplies by My Minds Eye. Customize your colors of fondant on your Pinata Cupcakes and they'll be the hit of the party. Create matching water bottle tags to serve alongside and people will think your creativity has peaked!
How do I make Pinata Cupcakes?
Pinata Cupcakes are more about the topper than anything. You want to fill them with any candy you'd like but ones that have a type of shell coating on them. Fill these with Nerds, M&M's, Skittles, Reese's Pieces – the possibilities of fillings for your pinata cupcakes are endless.
I like to start with an easy store-bought mix that is inexpensive. Make sure you leave them unfrosted until you put your candies in them. Cut a small hole about the diameter of a nickel, and then fill the middle using a spoon.
Next, you'll make your buttercream by mixing the butter, milk and powdered sugar. Whip it to a fluffy consistency and then frost your cupcakes. You'll want a biscuit cutter that is the same diameter as your cupcake, so about 2″. Cut four circles of each color then slice them horizontally to make lines and then cut small fringe details in your pinata cupcakes. Just use your colors in varying patterns and the homemade pinata cupcakes and serve for the best fiesta ever!
- 12 vanilla cupcakes
- 2-3 oz. pastel yellow fondant
- 2-3 oz. pastel pink fondant
- 2-3 oz. pastel green fondant
- 2-3 oz. pastel blue fondant
- ½ cup mini candies
- ½ stick butter softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Roll each of your fondant pieces so that they’re each about ¼ of an inch thick. Using a cookie cutter about the same size as the top of your cupcakes, cut 3 circles of each circle.
- We used a fondant mat to facilitate the next step, but you can also line your working surface with wax paper. Using a paring knife, cut each circle into 4 strips. Then, on the bottom of each strip, cut out little tassels.
- Using your paring knife, cut out the center top off each cupcake. Fill with candies and place the top back on.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter, sugar and milk until smooth. Place the buttercream in a piping bag and frost each cupcake.
- DIY Baby Onesie – Needy AF - July 7, 2020
- Free Birthday SVG Files – Funny Birthday SVG File - June 2, 2020
- Make an Indoor Vinyl Flower Garden for your Playroom - May 26, 2020