Freak out your neighbors or freak out your kids with these Freaky Frankenstein Cupcakes. Make them as gory as you want but these as super cute as is. This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
These Frankenstein Cupcakes are perfect for your next Halloween dessert table or just as a super fun kid-friendly Halloween recipe. These Frankenstein cupcakes are so easy and inexpensive to create, it makes for a great Halloween treat. These pairs perfectly with my other Mummy Cupcakes and my Monster Cupcakes (coming soon).
Supplies needed for you Frankenstein Cupcakes –
- Violet Gel Food Coloring
- Ready-Made Rice Krispie Treats
- Green Candy Melts
- White Candy Melts
- Brown Candy Melts
- Candy Eyes
- Black Licorice
- Black Decorators Icing
Prepare your cupcakes with just a simple store-bought cake mix and allow your cupcakes to cool completely before adding any decorations. While your Frankenstein cupcakes are in the oven, prepare the topper and frosting.
How do you make a Frankenstein Cupcake topper?
When making the Frankenstein cupcake topper, cut your premade Rice Krispie Treats in half. Line a baking pan with some parchment paper and then melt your chocolate. Or you can use the Mini Rice Krispie Treats and save you a step.
Melt your green and white Candy Melts together in a microwave-safe bowl. Add in 1 tsp of coconut oil to add some shine. Stir the candies together and then you’ll dip each Frankenstein in the green candy.
When dipping the Rice Krispie Treats in the chocolate, use a skewer to help lessen your mess.
Add the eyes and bolts in his neck right away, then place them in the fridge to set. At this point, prepare your icing with the butter, icing sugar, milk, vanilla and violet food coloring and whip it until it is smooth. Pipe your icing on top of the cooled cupcakes.
Now we’re going to melt the Brown Candy Melts the same way we did the green. Since your Frankenstein cupcake topper is set, you can use your hands for this part. Just dip the top about 1/8 of the way down to create Frankensteins’ hair. Add your ‘smile’ using the black decorating icing and then place them on top of your iced cupcake.
These Frankenstein cupcakes are sure to be a hit. Keep them as is to create a perfect kid-friendly Halloween cupcake or add a little raspberry puree or red decorators icing to create blood. You can make these Frankenstein cupcakes as scary as you’d like.
Create a "spooky" party with these kid-friendly Frankenstein cupcakes.
- Chocolate cake mix + the required ingredients as shown on directions
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp violet gel food coloring
- 12 ready-made rice cereal treats
- ½ cup green candy melts
- ½ cup white candy melts
- 48 candy eyes
- ½ cup brown candy melts
- 2 tsp coconut oil divided
- 48 small pieces of black licorice
- Black decorating icing
- Prepare your chocolate cake mix into cupcakes. Generally, boxes yield 24 cupcakes. Allow to cool before decorating.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, milk, vanilla extract and violet food coloring on slow speed and gradually increase to high. Once smooth and all ingredients are thoroughly combined, the buttercream is ready. Frost each cupcake generously.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Cut cereal treats in half and melt green and white candy melts + 1 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time until completely melted.
- Completely immerse each cereal treat into the melted candy and place gently on lined baking sheet. Place 2 eyes for each coated cereal treat and 2 licorice pieces on the side (this will act as Frankenstein’s monster’s bolts). Allow to set.
- Melt brown candy and 1 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave (again, in 30-second intervals) and dip the top part of your cereal treat in it. This will act as Frankenstein’s Monster’s hair. Place back on lined sheet and allow to set.
Use black frosting to draw eyebrows and “smile.” Place on top of each cupcake then serve.