With Christmas being next week, I am baking my heart out! These Christmas cupcakes are perfect to have at your next holiday party. Make these easy fondant Christmas Tree cupcakes and be the star of the party.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
With easy to find ingredients, what better way to show off to others with these easy Christmas cupcakes.
Supplies for your Christmas Tree Cupcakes
I don't have time to make homemade cupcakes but I do have time to take store-bought cupcakes and jazz them up into the cutest cupcakes you've ever seen.
Tip: Head to your grocery store bakery and ask to buy non-frosted cupcakes. Or ask for plain frosted cupcakes and add the Christmas fondant tree topper yourself.
How to make fondant Christmas trees
Start by rolling your fondant into 2″ spheres. You're now going to take the top and form it into a triangle. Take your kitchen shears and start cutting small pieces in the tree shape and these will act as your pine leaves.
Making the buttercream is really easy. Just cream together the butter and icing sugar adding milk to make it looser. I like to whip my buttercream in a stand mixer for a good 5 minutes to get all that air inside.
Use a knife or offset spatula to frost your cupcakes and then add your coconut flakes to the top. Take the remaining frosting and use the get food coloring colors of your choice and mix those together.
You can use a piping bag but a small Ziploc bag is good enough to make the small dots for the ornaments.
I used yellow gel food coloring to decorate the top of the tree as the star. I like how the blue and red are almost pastel colored so that they really shine on the Christmas Tree Cupcakes.
Place your tree on your “snow” covered cupcakes and serve.
I particularly don't like to eat a big chunk on fondant so I like these because they're easy enough to just take off and set it aside while I scarf down my Christmas Tree Cupcakes!
- 12 of your favorite chocolate cupcakes
- 6-8 oz. green fondant
- ¾ cup butter softened (1 ½ sticks)
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 3-5 tbsp milk
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Red gel food coloring
- Yellow gel food coloring
- Blue gel food coloring
- Ensure that your cupcakes are cool before decorating.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and roll out a dozen 2-inch fondant spheres.
- Start shaping each fondant spheres into cones so that they take the shape of Christmas trees. Use scissors to cut little indents all around the fondant tree (this will give it texture). Set lightly on a lined baking sheet.
- To make the buttercream, use an electric mixer and beat butter, icing sugar and milk on medium speed. Gradually increase speed to high and beat until completely smooth.
- Frost each cupcake with an offset spatula and add shredded coconut on top.
- Add some buttercream on the bottom of each tree and place on in the center of each cupcake.
- Separate the remainder of your frosting in three different bowls. Color each one with your gel food coloring.
- Add each buttercream color into a sandwich bag, cut a small hole in one and corner and pipe out little dots on your fondant Christmas trees. We kept the yellow for the top part of the tree – this will act as your fondant tree’s “star.” Enjoy!
- Free Birthday SVG Files – Funny Birthday SVG File - June 2, 2020
- Make an Indoor Vinyl Flower Garden for your Playroom - May 26, 2020
- Cricut Kids Crafts with the Cricut Joy - April 8, 2020