Cauldron Cupcakes are the perfect Halloween treat for your next party. Make your very own Halloween Cauldron Cupcakes and save the big bucks for something special.
Halloween cupcakes are my favorite and so this year I've made some Cauldron Cupcakes for our next party. This one is a little bit more labor-intensive than my others but that's just because there are more elements to it.
Everything can be bought at Walmart or Target, including the fondant. I love to save time and money by just using a simple boxed chocolate cake mix and once they cool, go to town decorating your cupcakes.
Supplies for your Cauldron Cupcakes
- Black, White, and Green Fondant
- Green Gel Food Coloring
- Black Decorating Icing
- Green Decorating Gel
- Wilton Tip #12
- Pretzel Sticks
Store-bought cake mix has saved my bacon too many times. There are ways that you can easily adapt the box mix to have your cupcakes more fluffy or taste a little bit more homemade. Good vanilla, as Ina would say, is a perfect ingredient to add to your store-bought cupcake mix.
Make your buttercream extra smooth by sifting your confectionary sugar beforehand. Getting the butter extra creamy and almost white before you add in your sugar can also drastically affect the taste of your buttercream in a good way.
When mixing your butter, you want to use unsalted butter and have it still be a bit cold. If you can press your finger into the side easily and it's still cold, that's perfect!
Add in your green gel food coloring just a tad at a time so that you can get the perfect limey, cauldron potion look.
Next, you'll attach the Wilton Tip #12 to your black icing bottle and create a ring around to create a lip to hold your potion.
Create a swirl of potion with the green decorating gel and then add little bubbles of green fondant to the top.
After you've done that, make your cauldron handles. You're going to mix the black and white fondant together into a log and then insert a toothpick into each end and insert it into your cupcake on both sides. You can create these a little bit ahead of time so that the fondant will harden but be sure to get the size correct.
To top off your Halloween cupcakes, add in your pretzel to have it be the stick that you stir your witch's potion with. Serve and enjoy!
- Hand Mixer
- Cutting Board
- Chocolate cake mix + all ingredients to make it** Most cake mixes yield 24 cupcakes so half the recipe to bake up one dozen instead!
- 1 stick butter softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp Kelly green gel food coloring
- Black decorating frosting
- Green gel food icing
- 2-3 oz. green fondant
- 3-4 oz. dark grey fondant to achieve this shade, knead white and black fondant together or, color white fondant with black gel food coloring
- 12 pretzel sticks
- Prepare cupcakes according to the mix’s directions. Bake in a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before decorating.
- Remove paper liners on cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, and milk. These ingredients will make up the buttercream frosting.
- Once the buttercream starts to form, add Kelly green gel food coloring.
- Beat until ingredients are smooth and form semi-stiff peaks.
- Frost the center of each cupcake with green buttercream.
- Using Wilton tip #12, pipe out a black frosting border around each cupcake.
- Frost the green portion of the cupcake with the green gel food icing, in random squiggles.
- Roll out different sized spheres from the green fondant and place a few per cupcake.
- Insert two toothpicks on either side of each cupcake. These will act as the support of the cauldrons’ handles.
- Roll dark grey fondant into 12 spheres, about 1 inch in size.
- Roll out each sphere into a thick strip, about ½ an inch thick and 4 ½ inches long.
- Insert one end of a grey fondant strip onto one of the toothpicks and then arch it to meet the other toothpick.
- Snap the pretzel sticks in half and insert one into each toothpick.
- Serve and enjoy.
More Halloween cupcake Ideas
- FREE Religious Easter SVG Files – Back By Popular Demand SVG - February 25, 2020
- Easy Paper Cracker Box – The Perfect Birthday Party Favor! - February 18, 2020
- Cupid Cupcakes – The Perfect VAlentine CUpcakes! - February 10, 2020